Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Ewww Gross!

Am I the only one with a fly infested home?  Tis the season of flies and they drive me crazy!  Don't ask me why we have so many.  Hmm? Maybe it is because we have 35 animals eating and pooping in our backyard.  Anyways, I don't know why they choose to come into our humble abode when they have everything they could possibly need and want with our animals.  It could be that they are looking for warmth now that the days are getting cooler.  Well, let's get on to my point - - I hate flies and I hate fly swatters even more!!  We have never owned one until last year.  Odd, I know.  Here is my thinking, fly swatters squish fly guts all over the counters, table, stove, sink, fridge - I think you get my point.  To me, that is nastier than having flies flying around.  So, I just never have bought a swatter.  Well, last year Hudson said to me with great excitement, "Mom, Nana has a swatter.  I think we could find one in Salt Lake."  It was as if, he thought it was a luxury and a rare commodity.  As if, I had been looking all over for one.  Well, Brian bought a set of two for last years infestation of flies.  Yes, the children loved it.  Open Season on flies and that is exactly what it was.  I finally had to draw the line.  I was finding dead flies and fly guts everywhere.  If you are going to kill the enemy, it must be on the window.  THE WINDOW ONLY!!

All to say, that has worked great.  BUT, I think I have even found a better solution.  A spider and its web!!!  A novel idea.  FYI - I do not like spiders either but this one has a purpose and I think I like him more and more each day.  He does not harm any of us and stays in his little window sill ~ catching flies all day long.  No guts.  And no dead carcasses laying around.  He wraps them and fills his little tummy. Thank you Mr. Spider!

This is a photo of the magnificent web and 7 DEAD flies.

IMG_8915

4 comments:

Cinnamon said...

Me too :-/ I hate flies, especially when I'm eating. Since moving to Iowa I have learned that they are just part of our family as they live and eat here, atleast during the hot months.Yuck :-9
~Cinnamon

TnFullQuiver said...

Ashley,
I think flies are just about the only thing that I DON'T like about farm living!!!! They drive me crazy.
It is good to know that I am not alone in this.
grace and peace,
julie

Messy and Wonderful said...

You're hilarious...

And wierd.

Natalie said...

Oh, I'm laughing out loud at Hudson and his great excitement over the swatter. The other day we had a fly in the house. I haven't bought a swatter for here in CO, but we had one in Ohio. Finn said, "Mommy, we need to get one of those bug smasher things like we had in Ohio." It took me awhile to figure out what he was talking about!