Friday, July 10, 2009

As Young as Ever!

96!

IMG_1711-1

That is how old my beautiful, sweet Grandma turned on July 3rd.

IMG_1664 

Neva, her younger sister came all the way from Kansas to help her celebrate. Neva is 4 years younger and just as giddy as my grandma. They sat next to each other most of the evening, holding hands, giggling and whispering sweet things to each other. I heard Neva say a couple of times, " I am so thankful you are my sister."          

IMG_1726IMG_1709

Neva traveled with her daughter Candice (in orange) and their sisters' daughter, Karen and her husband Scotty.

We all met at Grant's house for a BBQ, chocolate cake (gma's fave) and some real family partying!   

IMG_1676

Grandma grew up in Kansas. She and her husband, Paul, owned an insurance agency and had 2 children. Paul died when my dad was 15. Grandma never remarried but continued to raise and support her 2 children. Her children grew up and got married.

Grandma's stats:

2 children

8 grandchildren

36 great grandchildren

2 great great grandchildren

Now, THERE is a legacy!!

IMG_1729

L to R -  Paul (Older brother), Grandma, Shannon (Grant's wife), Grant (younger brother), Me and Brian. Missing from picture: Paul's wife, Elaine and my younger sister Debbie and her family.  My dad (Gma's son) and Mom were also not able to make it as they are trying to tie loose ends in OK with a business. We missed them.

It was a drizzly evening of rain but that didn't stop any of us from having lots of fun.

IMG_1689-1 IMG_1688-1 IMG_1702    IMG_1691

The boys played Laser Gun Tag and were busy with their weapons

DSC03643 

The girls dressed up and had a wedding.

IMG_1666

There was lots of hugging!

IMG_1733-1

Then... It was time to eat! We made a big circle around the kitchen/dining room and thanked God for a wonderful Grandma, family and the food.

IMG_1706

Some of the cousins ate in the garage. Others ate on the tramp.

DSC03647 DSC03648

And others were just "goofy". (yes, you Sam!)ADSC03650

Gathered around for the Birthday song and, of course, some yummy chocolate cake.

DSC03655

Hope cleaning up the pan. (not really, Elaine)

 DSC03659

Happy Birthday, Grandma!

We all love you so very much!!!

7 comments:

Teri said...

96? She looks 25 year younger. What sweet memories you must have. Those moments are precious and can never be recovered. Enjoy them while you can.

I lost ALL of my grandparents within a span of a year and suddenly became an orphan of sorts. I cherish the few momentos, pictures and memories I have of them. And my favorite grandmother became sudenly very luci just days before her passing and as she held my 5th child, said in front of my whole family who is in disagreement with several children, "There's always room for one more" How pleasing to my heart.

Glad you are still getting to enjoy her.

Cinnamon said...

What a beautiful Grandma~ she looks great!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement - I needed them :-)

And for the great wedding ideas to keep me close to them.

~Cinnamon

God, My Savior Forever! said...

WOW...this post really made me smile:D What a beautiful grandma you have..wish she could meet my very cute grandma for some coffee! Family is very important to me as well and I want my unborn kids to know the wonderful people who the Lord blessed them with even if it's through pictures. Looks like you are doing just that for your children....I'm pretty sure they love this beautiful lady tons and appreciate who she is! I toally loved all the pictures..especially the ones of the little girls all dressed up! When I saw the pic of your grandma and her sis I thought, "that is how I want to be when my sister and I are beautifully wrinkled..I want to be holding hands and giggling:D Thanx for sharing this wonderful post my friend! God bless you and your beautiful family! I'm going to call my grandma now who lives in Costa Rica:D

j said...

Wow, she is beautiful and looks so good for her age. Does not look 96 at all!! That is so sweet. Fun to see you guys with Paul and some of their kids.
Jessica

~Bren~ said...

You certainly got some good genes going there!! LOL
Happy Birthday to your Grandma!

Natalie said...

Awww, Neva and Grandma give me a tear in my eye! Sisters!

Andrea Cherie said...

Wow! That's a lot of grandkids!