Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Can't be possible!

It was about 16 years ago when I had gained an extra 41 pounds in 9 months. Yes, I was pregnant with our first child. Oh the excitement and anticipation of having a baby!
About half-way through the pregnancy, I began to get fearful about how I was going to get this baby out. It did not seem possible and yet so many women had done it before me. Surely, I could do this too but I did not see how.
About a month before his due date and 39 pounds heavier, I didn't care how he came out ~ I just wanted him out and in my arms!! 
No more fear. 
Bring the labor. Bring the pain. 
Bring the baby!!
Amazing how God works and changes us.

My parents flew in a few days before his due date. He was 3 days late but we had fun playing cards, going on long walks, shopping, "nesting", watching the Olympics and breathing through pre-labor contractions at home.
It was finally time.
We went to the hospital (in Denver) and delivered the sweetest, cutest, little baby boy.
Yay! He is in our arms. Oh so precious.
I can remember vividly nursing that sweet boy and looking at his chubby cheeks spilling over with milk and his hand wrapped around my finger and thinking ~ I will just cry when my baby turns 16.
Guess who's crying!
Well, not really. 
Back then, 16 meant to me that he all of a sudden would know everything, that he would be driving and doing "his own thing" and he wouldn't need me anymore.
WRONG!
Know everything - yes.
Driving - yes. 
Doing "his thing" (hunting, scouting, trapping, hiking etc) - Yes!
No need for me - wrong. Very wrong! 
He still needs me but in a different way. No more kissing ouchies or pushing him on the swing but now I get to see the wounds from his adventures and hear about the stories of how he almost didn't get away and I am that listening ear for his crazy hair-brained ideas.
I think he would also tell you that I am his chef, laundress, and maid.
:-)

Caleb is so much to me!
He is creative, clever, funny, strong, outdoorsy, and loves God.
I enjoy the relationship we have.
I am thankful for Caleb.

The Party
His sisters decorated the dining room.


His gifts

On The Menu:
He requested Potato Bar


Opening of presents.
Funny how most of his gifts have camo or a sharp blade on it.

And then there was dessert...
Coconut Cream Pie!!

Sixteen Candles


Me and my little boy.
Well, not so little any more...
But he IS my boy!!
Thank you God for such a great son.

Happy 16th Birthday Caleb
ps I am glad you still "need" me.

9 comments:

Andrea Cherie said...

Happy "Sweet 16" to your firstborn!

Unknown said...

What a sweet post! Happy Birthday to your son :) Your family is so beautiful!!

Amy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Looks like he had a great party:)

Cinnamon said...

Happy Birthday Jeremiah Johnson :-)

~The Kerschner Family~

myletterstoemily said...

he looks like such a great kid! congratulations
and, i know it is a little bittersweet to have
them grow more independent.

blessings,
lea

Laura said...

Happy Birthday Caleb!!!

Wow, where does the time go, Elizabeth turned 18 yesterday. It's wonderful, you are so blesed!

Barbara said...

It looks like he did have a great birthday, it is wonderful to celebrate the birth of our children, God bless you all. Happy Wednesday

 The Morris Family said...

Tell Caleb from the Morris crew!! What a fine young man and it is great as they get older the relationship we can have with them, I love having older children!! Looks like he made good choices for a yummy meal!!!

I sure hope someday our Micah can come up there and hunt and stuff with Caleb!!

Natalie said...

I have a little tear! He's a young man! Congratulations!