Wednesday, October 1, 2008

On Top of the World

IMG_0085-1

Tis the season for the much anticipated "Bugling".  For those of you who don't know what that means - - it is the time of year for the Bull Elk to find their Cow Elk (ie: female elk, this seasons mate, girlfriends, mother of their offspring - I think you get the idea ) with a bugle sounding call.  This was one of our family night activities.  (The other one was Freeze Tag.)  However, it was only 1/2 family night because the little ones could not have done the hike.  (Caleb was selfless enough to stay home with the three little girls)  The rest of us put on our hiking shoes, jackets and grabbed the binoculars.  We hiked up to the ridge-line of Big Canyon (not the camp, but the actual canyon that our camp is named after) and sat in the brush.  We saw a few cow elk on the other mountain side and we heard a few bugles. 

   IMG_0115-1IMG_0099-1

IMG_0100-1

 

Hiking up the mountain.

DSC08731-1

DSC08733-1 IMG_0127-1 IMG_0123-1 

 

Abbi trying to show me where the elk were.  I think I may be losing my perfect eyesight.  Argh!...Oh, the darn things that come with age (and wisdom, of course). 

FYI: I did finally see them through the binoculars.

DSC08754-1

 

Aaa Aaaa Aaa!  Brian took this picture of me.  I thought it was neat looking.  It is, as if, I were angelic or something.

DSC08741-1

 

OK!  Do you see this next picture?  Do you see what is wrong?  Yes, I have two different shoes on.  Are you kidding me?!!!  How old am I anyway!?!  I did not even notice until Brian said, "So what is going on with your shoes?" That comment drew everyone's attention to my planned footwear and everyone got a good laugh at my expense.  Thanks, Honey!!!

 IMG_0089

 

Look closely.  Do you see the black marble looking things.  Yes, it is elk scat and yes I sat right in it.  Again, I ask, "How old am I?"

IMG_0101-1

 

The views from where we sat.  For those of you who know the area, the lake is Rockport.

IMG_0141-1

IMG_0154-1

 

IMG_0076-1

DSC08745-1

4 comments:

Devin and Tiffany said...

The property is beautiful!! I love all the colors... I think we need to live there someday :). I love the shoes, I have done that before, I blame it on kids! You are funny!

Messy and Wonderful said...

Older and wiser??? Three words, sight, shoes and poop... Maybe next year!

Fun pictures. Must be nice living in 017!

Pam said...

I am jealous of those views. Just beautiful! You are a great photographer.

~Bren~ said...

Ashley...YOU ARE ANGELIC!!! The beauty you live in is breathtaking. I know you do not take that for granted.
I think of you often. Thanks for entering my giveaway and for your comments on Emerson. She is such a Dolly. I keep you in prayer...I am so inspired by your faith.