Thursday, November 6, 2008

Shave and a Haircut - - 2 Bits!

 You probably did not know this about me.  And now that I think about it you probably don't care to know.  But... if you keep reading, you will know.

I am a Beautician - kinda. (not really)

Yep, I cut hair.

I have never gone to Beauty School (and if you saw the kind of haircuts I give, you would know that).  However, I can "cut" good enough to keep the family from looking shaggy.

 IMG_1706-1

 

You would think I am torchering the poor kid. For the record, I am not.  He is just giving the camera a little drama. (I'm pretty sure)

I start out with clipping (#2) around the neckline and above the ears.

 IMG_1717-1

 

Then I take the scissors and blend/trim the top.

IMG_1724-1

Clip, Cut, and Comb - - Done!

Now you know!

Think about this... the cost of getting haircuts for our family every 4-6 weeks. Insane!

It's hard enough to just make the appointments and then throw in all the time it takes to wait for everyone to get done.  It probably wouldn't happen.

My Hair Cutting History

(because, by now, you are all dying to know)

My college friend, Sheila, who is now my sister-in-law, (another story, another time) worked at a Beauty Salon Store during our college days.  She had a great discount and I normally bought the expensive shampoo for a Suave price.  But then I became very interested in cutting hair.  She knew how.  She showed me.  And then I bought a pair of haircutting scissors.  Using Sheila's store discount, I bought a great pair of scissors for $7.  Now all I needed was someone to practice on.  Hmmm.  Any willing takers?  Not so much. 

I finally convinced her brother, Brian, (now my husband - enough said) to let me try my skills on his hair.  Let's just say, he was very patient and his hair always grew back.  Each cut was a new learning experience for me (and for Brian).

He married me and I am not sure why but I think it is because of my hair cutting skills.

To this day, I am still using those $7 scissors.  And the clippers I use were given to me.  Now that, my friend, is Savings!

 

7 comments:

Messy and Wonderful said...

So, how do you save on other things.... like toilet paper, maybe? I can only imagine!

TnFullQuiver said...

Ashley,
AND you got a husband to boot!!! Now I call that using your resources well!!
grace and peace,
julie

Natalie said...

I started cutting everyone's hair this summer. The clippers paid for themselves on the first cut. Eamonn is gaming enduring my learning curve and has only had to deal with a few comments from his friends about what happened to his hair.

PS--I tagged you! Go check it out!

Cinnamon said...

I love it~ I, too, cut everyone's hair. Except my 14 yr old son, whom we jokingly call Samson, doesn't like his hair cut as much lately. It grows and grows and grows and then one day he'll say "cut it all off". Well, I too, am glad I don't have to run to town and pay for all those haircut.

I learned to cut hair by growing up watching my mom. She was a hairdresser many moons ago. Plus I never liked how anyone cut my hair so I just started doing it myself and never stopped. Thankfully my hair is very forgiving :-)

Funny post -made me laugh just thinking of all the times someones hair has been mowed down with one of my mistakes on THEIR head :-)

~Cinnamon

Teri said...

Oh, what a savings! Only difference here is that I AM a beauty school dropout. LOL! Wanted to be an aeronautical engineer, had my own plans. But the Lord has a funny way of changing them. Prefer the children to the degree though!

~Bren~ said...

I do my own haircuts here too. Problem is, Charlotte decided she would give it a try. Zach's hair is STILL not right and her bangs are finally growing back (along with her eyebrows)
Your cuts look better than mine do...and I never got a husband out of it all.

Unknown said...

Beautiful family. Looks like your girls outnumber your boys too. So it is in my family. My boys are way outnumbered. And I must say you are ever so brave to cut hair. I won't touch my boys' hair. I'd surely mess it up. My dh cuts their hair. I have pictures of him cutting they're hair in my slideshow on my blog!! Oh, and I have a daughter living in Park City right now.