Friday, November 21, 2008

WARNING: Skinning and Skin

 

I remember the day when Brian would bring home an elk or a deer.  I, the loving and supporting wife, was the one to help him hang it, skin it, quarter it, cut it, grind it and bag it.  And keep in mind, most of those times I was pregnant (pretty much always pregnant). And we would get started after our children were in bed b/c they were too little to help.  So it would make for a very late night. What a trooper I was. (patting myself on the back)

Well, I think I have passed the baton - 100%

Remember that Hudson shot a doe a few days ago? Well, I am proud to say that I never once had to touch the deer or doing anything to help get the meat in the freezer. 

1. Caleb and Hudson hung it. 

2. Hudson skinned it.  Sidenote: I don't remember ever skinning wildlife without a shirt on so I asked him why he was doing it this way.  His reply: "I don't want to get blood on my shirt."  Hmmm. Why didn't I ever think of that?

IMG_3003

3. After it was skinned, the boys and Brian quartered it.  They brought the quarters in and (4.) cut the meat off the bones.

 IMG_3022-1

IMG_3027

5. Then the meat was given to Maggie (and Brian) to be ground up.  We use my Bosch Bread Mixer with an attachment for meat grinding. It works fabulous!

IMG_3033-1

6. The meat then got vacuum sealed and put in the freezer.

(However, we did not freeze all of it.  We will make sausage and jerky with the rest.  That will be another nights activity.)

IMG_3032

7. DONE!

In case you are wondering...Yes, we sanitize and sterilize the kitchen before and after this little project.

So, let the question be asked...

Where was I when all of this was taking place?

I was in the family room reading books and playing on the floor with the little girls.  Loved every minute of it! 

The Processing crew did a great job!  And I am retired!!

5 comments:

Messy and Wonderful said...

Isn't that pretty much your status for EVERYTHING around there???

Again, must be nice. I think it's time for a mammogram. :-)

Pam said...

Your more woman than me! That stuff has to go to a processor, I can't stand to touch any raw meat. Weird I know!

Melissa (aka Kitty) said...

I love your blog....from sweet birthing stories to ripping skin off a deer. I never know what to expect. Love it.

Cinnamon said...

Oh you're house of fun looks just like ours during hunting season :-)

Glad you got a break~

~Cinnamon

p.s as you can see I'm playing catch up with your adorable blog. You guys have been busy :-)

 The Morris Family said...

Yea, got it to open so I can talk to ya!!! It just seems our families have got to run in to each other some day... I appreciate your thoughtful words. I was noticing all the birthdays in you family and we were preg. in much of the same years, we have 8/94, 3/96, 4/98, 2/00, 1/02, 9/03(Joel,Josiah) and 3/06. We do have 5 above the 94' but I thought it was neat we have so many the same year!! Looks like fun around there, right up some of ours alley! Blessings to your family.
Cindy