Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What is all the BUZZ about?

BEES are the buzz!

Bees fascinate me. And we LOVE their honey. My dad has had bees since before I was born (that was a long time ago). He would be classified as a true beekeeper. He knows and understands bees, hives, and honey. I have always wanted bees but I have never had the desire to be their master - a beekeeper. My patience has paid off!! Hudson, wants to be a beekeeper!!! Hallelujah!!!!

So... for Hudson's (early) birthday present, my parents got him all set up to "keep" bees. They spent an afternoon putting together the supers, frames and foundations.  

IMG_2187-1

IMG_7504    IMG_2175

Abbi also pitched in (after spending time with her horses)

IMG_2177    IMG_2180

 

A week later, the  7,012 bees arrived from California in a small pine box. 7,011 worker bees and 1 queen. We filled the feeder with sugar water.

IMG_7611 

Took the queen out of the box. (The workers are swarmed around her.)

IMG_7619IMG_7622 

The Workers

IMG_7617-1

Hudson dumping them in the hive. Do you see the bees on him? That is why I have not wanted to be a beekeeper.

IMG_7640

Here is another reason - a bee got inside of his suit.

IMG_7662

Putting the hive together - full of bees.

IMG_7654-1

The Spectators

IMG_7639-1   IMG_7645

Papa, Hive and Hudson

 IMG_7667

Work Bees, Work!

Honey, honey, honey!!

8 comments:

Andrea Cherie said...

WOW!! So brave, and is that your dad's hand in there without any protection!? We hope to have bees someday too, but for now we buy from a guy out in the country. He has a box at the end of his drive that says "Take Honey, Leave Money" , how cute is that!?

Susan said...

Oh, my...7,000 bees! I don't think I could do it! I'm sure the honey is out of this world, though!

How long will it take for the bees to produce honey?

Teri said...

Oh, how exciting! We looked at the boxes at the hardware store and were VERY intrigued. Maybe we will venture forth next year, after we see how Hudson does.

Cinnamon said...

Oh yummy!! We love honeycomb. Nothing compares to it!

Best to you on your bee adventure.
~Cinnamon

Messy and Wonderful said...

I'm wondering about your dad's bike helmet - did it protect him from the bees or did you make him ride on a bike down to the fence from your house?

Just wonderin'

Nice bees. I'll look forward to some honey in my iced tea this summer when I'm invited up to your place (hint hint).

Natalie said...

That is so cool! Way to go, Hudson!

~Bren~ said...

Your kids amaze me. I am not a bee person either.
Happy belated birthday to you...((((hugs))))

 The Morris Family said...

How exciting!!! Maybe we can buy our honey from you all instead of the guy in Texas!! Good job!!
Cindy