Monday, January 21, 2008

Potty Training


Potty Train in a Day...
(well kinda)

I have had 3 friends, in the last 2 weeks, ask me what we do for potty training so - - this is for them and, of course, for anyone else who cares.

First of all, you must know there is not one set answer to this. I will share with you what we do, but know, it may look different for each family.

We don't try to attempt any training until the child is capable of pulling down and up their pants on their own. Usually by two. We do weeks of verbal prepping by telling the child they can be a big "girl/boy" by going on the potty.

I look at my schedule and pick 3 days straight when I can stay at home - focus on training and no distractions.
We use a Portable potty (pictured) so that we can have the child in a room where there is tile and where we can spend the day, comfortably. ie: kitchen
I am well supplied with salty treats (ie: saltine crackers, pretzels) lots of juice, small treats (ie: m&m's, skittles) books and puzzles.

~The Big Day~
I feed the child breakfast and off goes the diaper. Our day of training begins! The child sits on the potty while eating lots of salty things because this makes them thirsty and then they drink. Patience Patience Patience!! We read books, do puzzles all while they are on the potty and before you know it - - Pee! Everyone claps and cheers on the child. The child carries the cup to the potty; dumps it; then flushes; washes hands. And then... they get 3 m&m's. Start all over. We do this all morning. Eat lunch (usually not very hungry b/c of snacking). Take afternoon nap with diaper on. Then for the evening, we put a pull-up on. I set the timer for 20 minutes as a reminder to me to take the child potty. Our evenings are full of activity so it is hard for us to stay focused on the child full time.
I do this for at least one more day, maybe 2 or 3.
There will be accidents! Be prepared with your attitude. Do not get angry - be patient. Also be prepared with extra clothing etc when away from home.
Pooping did not happen right away for my children. Just keep encouraging it. It will happen.
p.s. My older children have potty trained the last 3. Sweet!!!

When we are done with the training, we set the toilet in the bathroom and the child uses it in there for awhile. It makes it easier for the child and the rest of us using the big potty.

Hope this is helpful. If you have any questions, email me or post a comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems like a good regime to me as I have seen it work over and over again! Nice to share your ideas with others! Love, Mom