Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Sister

Deborah Dale
Happy Birthday!
When I was 6 yo I wanted a sister so bad. I had 2 fun brothers but they are boys and I was in need of a friend, a sister. I prayed every night that God would make my mom pregnant. A day did not go by without God hearing me beg. Finally, the big news, my mom is pregnant. Now, God gets to hear more begging from me but this time it is that the baby will be a girl. Lo and behold, on January 23rd, (in 1975), God provided me life long friend, Debbie! I loved having a baby in our home and even more that she was a girl. We are seven years apart in age so we did not always have the same interests at the same time but regardless, we were still close friends. There was one point in life where she wanted to be just like me and had to have everything I had. It bugged me! but deep down, I was glad she liked me so much that she wanted to be like me. Now she is all "growed up" with a great husband and 6 beautiful children.

Who’s the one who knows my thoughts,
Before I can even say?
Who writes encouraging notes
When I’m having a rotten day?
Who knows my likes and dislikes?

Whose attitude is always of care
And when she thinks I need it,
her thoughts she will share?
Who calls me on the phone

To share some exciting news?
And who always understands
When I am feeling the "blues"?!
Who’s always there through good times,

And also through the bad?
Who laughs when I’m happy,
And cries when I’m sad?
When someone in need is hurting,

Her shoulder she does lend.
The precious one I speak of... Is my very best friend!

Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, as I wipe my eyes, I do have the biggest smile possible on my face! You two "do me" so proud! You both bring so much love and joy into my life. Thank you both for all you did for your dad and me while I was so sick. What a blessing to be called "mother" by you! I love you Ashley & Debbie! Mom

Anonymous said...

Little Gay... What a blessing you are to me!!! But really it was me that God blessed. The day I was born He gave me YOU. You always took such special care of me, and for that I am grateful. You fixed my hair, taught me how to listen to records, dance, swim, jump rope, make sugar cookie dough, and buttered Home Pride bread.
I love you too BIG sis!