Thursday, February 11, 2010

Costing me a Fortune!!

 See these trees?
   
There is a row of them just down from our house. 
Nothing fancy. Just trees. 
However, in the winter, these not-so-fancy trees get frequent visits from the Bald Eagles and they come alive with beauty. Not just one Bald Eagle. Many! We have had as many as 18 at one time. 
Absolutely breathtaking.
Look carefully and you can see two in this picture.


Here is a close up. 
Most of the time they will NOT fly away as we drive by. This time I had my camera.

You may be asking yourself, "Why are these costing her a fortune? What is she talking about?" Well, you see, it all started back about a month ago when I was in the plow-truck with Brian. He told asked me to drop the plow whenever I was driving the truck. And I had been driving it quite a bit because the tires on my car were so bald that I could not get up to the camp. Anyways, I said, "Really? You want me to plow? You do such a great job." He said, "Yes. It is very easy and it will be helpful to me. Just drop it and turn the blade. You can do it." In my mind I was thinking - "ahhg! I REALLY don't want to. But... maybe. We'll see."

Well... we had a big Men's Retreat at Big Canyon. Brian was meeting with the men. It was snowing and I (unfortunately) had the truck. Argh! I toyed with the idea of plowing for Brian so he wouldn't have to leave early and the road would be clear for the men to leave. I wanted to help but I was fearful of "messing" something up. Who knows what. But I am sure I could find something. So I convinced myself NOT to. But, I knew it would be helpful.
Back and forth. 
Yes - No! Yes - No! 
OK! I will just do it! 
I finally decided I could/would do it and earn "points" with my husband. :-)

Abbi was with me. She was cheering me on. She kept saying, "Dad is going to love it. He is going to be so proud." I was just as excited as her.
We got down to Eagles Landing (the trees where the eagles sit) and there were about 5 in the trees and just as we passed 4 flew up from the ground and were flying right along with us. It was amazing.

Then that "something" happened!

I came to the cattle guard.
Let's just say... Not pretty.
Note to self: Lift plow when crossing the cattle guard and 
Don't get distracted by the Eagles.
The plow blade got caught.
It snapped!
Fixing the plow was NOT cheap.
I think I will be suing the Bald Eagles.
After-all, it IS their fault.
Know a good lawyer?

I am wondering if my husband will tell ask me to plow again... hmmm



"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; 
they shall mount up with wings as eagles; 
they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
Isaiah 40:31

4 comments:

myletterstoemily said...

funny but costly story!

the eagles are magnificent. what a treat to see
them up close!!!

Cinnamon said...

I feel your pain. Sooo sorry for you. While Brian is extremely kind I would not have wanted to be there while you were telling him :-p eeek!

~Cinnamon

Messy and Wonderful said...

That's one way to not get asked to plow again!

Amy said...

The eagles are absolutely beautiful. Sorry about the plow. At least it makes a good story:)