Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I am "IT"

Well, I was "tagged" a few weeks ago by both Christa and Natalie. If my memory serves me right, I remember that being tagged meant I was running too slow and someone touched me. I guess that was about 30-some years ago and things have changed. The Rules - -

1. The rules of the game get posted at the beginning.

2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.

3. At the end of the post, the player tag other people and posts their name, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they've been tagged and asking them to read your blog.




The Questions and My Answers...

What was I doing 10 years ago?:

This is probably more than you care to know but 10 years ago was monumental (altar building) in my life. So here it goes... 10 years ago was May of 1998. We were living in Park City and I was pregnant (just a few weeks before delivery) with our third child. At this time God was doing a complete makeover on me - key word being ME. I had just finished "The Way of Agape" bible study by Nancy Missler. Absolutely life changing. Up to this point, in my marriage and as a mom, everything was about Me. I was literally "tearing down the walls" of my house. You would probably like an example (believe me, there are many). The main one was that my security was in Brian and I had very high expectations of him (ones any human could not fulfill). ie: Because I thought it should be all about me, that is what I expected. I needed praise, I needed words of encouragement, and so on. It wasn't that he didn't give me those things, it just wasn't enough or the right way. Are you getting the picture? In my eyes, he could do no right? My expectations were idealistic and impossible. I became so focused on me and my needs and I put God and my relationship with Him on the back burner. It was a "dark" time for me.

Well, in the fall of '97, I was signed up to finish the second part of Kay Arthur's Precept Upon Precept Romans Study. On the first day of introductions about all the classes taking place, a lady shared about the study of "The Way of Agape". It sounded like something I would really enjoy. Little did I know that my world would be rocked!! I had always heard that God loved me. And I knew that He did but this book took it to a whole new level and meaning of Love. I realized how truly He loved me. Because I had a more complete understanding of His love, I was able to really trust Him in all things and all areas of my life. My security was now in Him. And that freed Brian! Our marriage did a 180. It wasn't Brian at all (well, not all of it), it was me and my selfish needs and desires. I am so thankful for such a loving husband who loved me and kept pointing me to Truth.

All this to say, 10 years ago (1998) is a time I will never forget!




Five Snacks I enjoy:
In a perfect, non weight-gaining world. . .

1. Movie popcorn smothered in movie popcorn butter (or whatever that stuff is)
2. Chocolate Covered Pretzels
3. Hot Tamales
4. Breyer's Oreo Mint Ice Cream
5. Grasshopper cookies (frozen)


In the real world. . .

1. Air popcorn with real butter.
2. Granola mix or bars
3. Granny Smith apples - oh yea, dipped in caramel
4. Pecans, almonds and pisatchios!!
5. Fruit - mango, strawberries, gala apples, grapes and raspberries ( picked fresh from the garden)


Things I would do if I were a billionaire:

1. Finish the funding for Big Canyon Ranch
2. Help families that want to adopt from overseas.
3. Put some under the mattress for our children's education and weddings.
4. Make sure my friends and family have what they need.
5. Donate generously to those in need.
6. We have always been penny-pinchers - I would love to take some friends out to a nice dinner and pick up the tab and not think twice. That would be so fun!


Five jobs that I have had:

1. Concessions at Fashion Place Movie Theatre (a high school job - loved it!)
2. Drive Thru at McDonalds in North Myrtle Beach, SC (summer project with Campus Crusade for Christ)
3. Receptionist for a company in Denver
4. Nanny for a family with 3 boys. (married, but before our own children)
5. Best job ever - MOTHER AND WIFE!


Three of my habits:

1. Picking my nails. (Gotta stop!)
2. Impatient with my children when they spill or break something.
3. Not remembering where I put my purse or cell phone. arrgh!

Five places I have lived:

1. Marshalltown, Iowa (place of birth - not Kansas)
2. Salt Lake City, UT
3. Manhattan, KS (Go Kansas State!)
4. St. Joseph, MO
5. Denver, CO


Five People I Want to Get to Know Better:
A nice way of saying "you are IT!"

1. Julie
2. Lori
3. KK
4. Tiffany
5. Jennifer

2 comments:

Messy and Wonderful said...

Sign me up for a free dinner when you're a billionaire!

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for a few months. It's a long story, but I stumbled onto it when I was looking into homeschooling, and I have stayed around.

I have stayed around because I find your life interesting and inspiring. I have have really sensed a love, joy, and servanthood in your being a wife, and mother, and I love that.

I just want to thank you for being so real/candid in your testimony about how God changed your life in 1998. I am on that same journey...we are about the same age, and I was pregnant with my third baby at the same time...but I am still very much in process. Unfortunately I have felt the need to sap my husband's joy and energy in trying to meet this deep need for love and acceptance in my life. I have a very devoted husband(to myself and the Lord) but I have needed the constant encouragement and had unrealistic expectations b/c of this deep need. I am really learning, especially this year that God has to be my complete source and father and only He can complete me. I am going to look into that study you mentioned. It is inspiring to know that God brought you through that, and that He can do the same for me!

It also helped to hear your story, because as I have read your blog, and sensed this joy and fulfillment in your parenting and being a wife, it's easy to sit on this side of the computer and think that you are perfect...just naturally. It is so helpful to understand that it takes refinement in all of us to become who God truly means for us to be.

I can't thank you enough! Bless you in all that God has called you to do.

~M